Thursday 17 September 2015

My Driver,My Oga and the Head Office

Ikoyi-Falomo Bridge

My apartment was certainly beyond what I expected. It was a spacious 3 bedroom apartment on Bayo Kuku, fully furnished and the facility was amazing! Pool, Tennis Court, a garden you could have a small party (I was already thinking Barbeque).
Exhausted after the flight, but was too excited about my apartment, I spent the next 3 hours unpacking, admiring the apartment and calling family and friends in London to let them know I was safely home, and calling the few friends in Lagos to let them know I was here at last.
Home call was a bit long, my mum is a bit of a stalker, she is German and my dad Ibo. While she monitored my flight online and called the very second I landed, My dad on the other hand wanted me to get in touch with my uncle, just so I have family close by...we'll see about that.It pleased my dad a great deal that his first son was going home to work as an expatriate.
Back to reality, I had to go to the head office.
I called Nuru, my designated driver. Elderly, and knew his way around as I got to find out later.
'I am downstairs sir' he said 'I have pack in front'  he said in his almost good English. It took me all of three months to fully understand Nuru's Yoruba accent.
Cheerful, reliable Nuru. I was and still am lucky to have him as my driver. asides his occasional whining about his 2 wives and 5 children. Don't ask me why he has 2 wives, I never asked him either, just silently thought it was stupid.

We drove from Bayo Kuku at about 2:10pm, through Kingsway traffic (NNPC filling station caused a fuel scarcity traffic),  Falomo round about traffice, then we got on the new Falomo bridge traffic and managed to make it to the office at 4:30. I was late for my first meeting! To think I wanted to leave my apartment at 3! Finally made it to the office on Adeola Odeku. and I met my boss, good old Chief Adewale Daniels. Larger than life Chief. I had met him in London through my father at an event, we spoke at length and before we left he had convinced me to come to Nigeria to Head his Communications Department. My IT skills and first degree, and a Marketing Communication MSc from an Ivy league University was all he needed.
'Kenny  my boy! welcome to Eko' he said in his deep, throaty voice.
'Good day Sir', I said accepting his extended hand. 'I apologise for being tardy, the traffic is worse than I was told'
He laughed some more, asked me to take a seat and joked about me not complaining about traffic when I start travelling from Ikoyi to VGC to go visit girls. We both laughed, me ignorantly because I had no idea where VGC was, and in my head if it was that far maybe I wont be dating any girl long distance.
Not true anyway, Because I did end up dating a girl in VGC.

No comments: