Friday 18 September 2015

No Party Like a Lagos Party!

I experienced 'the Lagos party' first hand on my very first day in Lagos. I left the office at about 5:30pm after speaking with Chief and meeting the team on a very casual orientation. Work is meant to resume full swing on monday. I figured the weekend would help me settle in and see a bit of Lagos...maybe even speak with Uncle Adim so my dad would relax a bit.
Uncle Adim is my dad's eldest brother, I recall growing up we would spend time in his Huge mansion somewhere in Ikeja. This was years ago when we were kids, before my folks relocated to England. He moved to an even bigger mansion somewhere in Lekki I heard. We see him and his family ever so often in England that it just really didn't feel like I had missed them in anyway.
Called Tunji on my way from the office ' Hey mate! Here finally' I said with as much excitement as my tired ,sleepy self could muster.
'Hey man! How you doing? where you at?' Tunji asked all at once 'Hope you are ready to see Lagos tonight' he continued excitedly
'Not today man, I need to unpack and get something to eat then sleep...' I started, only to be cut shut by the ever fun ready Tunji 'Guy, you sound like my grandmum!we will sleep when we are dead. Rounding up at the office, will be at your place around 7-ish'  he cut the call emphatically, then called back 'Guy, text me the address'

Tunji and I met in England. His dad owned a house in England close to my folks'. We had attended a few mutual friends parties and I had found that underneath his 'spoilt rich lagos boy' exterior was a very intelligent Mechanical Engineer.
Tunji's folks had houses in several countries, but they grew up in Nigeria. Only studied abroad. Tunji is a full fledged Lagosian and was ever ready to party.
7:17pm and Tunji was already at my place.
We started with Bogobiri on Maitama Sule, he was obsessed with some extra spicy sauce they had. We listened to some live band, which I found relaxing. I was fascinated at how Tunji parked the car right there on the street!
'Is there like a valet, to park properly?' I asked, wondering how one could just leave their car smack! in the middle of the street.
'Valet? guy, this is Lagos o!' he said, that was Tunji's explanation to my every fascination
We moved from Bogobiri at about 10pm to a private and exclusive lounge somewhere in Ikoyi,  Escape Night club on Adeola Odeku was our final call, at 3am I was drunk, excited, tired, confused...and Tunji looked and acted like his day had only just begun!
He dropped me off at about 3am on Saturday morning, and promised to pick me up at 11 to attend an 'owambe' 
had attended a few in London, but he told me those were nothing compared to what was obtainable in Lagos.
I still dont know how I got into the elevator and to my 8th floor apartment, but somehow I did, and the last thought I had was that Banky W was right, There ain't no party like a Lagos Party

No comments: